Any decision to hold an event during the COVID-19 pandemic, no matter how large or small, should rely on a risk-based approach. WHO has provided guidance on how such a risk-based approach can be taken. This Q&A is focused on small, non-professional gatherings and events (i.e. birthday parties, children’s football games, family occasions). Precautions to consider include actions to prevent transmission between people, and where to hold the venue and how it can be modified to make a safer environment. Cancelling a planned event is an option that should always be considered, especially in case of non-essential events or when precautions cannot be implemented or adequately communicated.
I am ATTENDING a small gathering or an event such as a wedding, a party, sports tournament. What precautions should should I take to protect myself Nd others from getting infected with Corona virus?
- Always check local regulations before attending an event.
- Stay at home if you are feeling unwell.
- Always comply with the following 3 basic preventive measures:
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance from others, and wear a mask if you cannot guarantee this distance.
- Cover a sneeze or cough with a tissue or bent elbow, and immediately dispose of tissue in a closed-lid bin. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, or with a hand sanitizer.
I am ORGANIZING a smal gathering or an event such as a wedding, a party or sports tournament. What precautions should I take to prevent the spread of COVID-19 among guests?
- Always check local guidelines before planning your event.
- Brief guests about precautions before the event starts; during the event, remind guests of these precautions and ensure they are followed.
- Choose outdoor venues over indoor spaces – if indoors, ensure the area is well-ventilated.
- Minimize crowding by staggering arrivals and departures, numbering entries, designating seats/places and marking the floor to ensure physical distancing between people of at least one meter.
- Provide all necessary supplies – hand hygiene stations, hand sanitizer or soap and water, tissues, closed-lid bins, distance markers, masks.