Feeling down all the time? If the answer is yes, you need to follow some healthy habits this year. This post is all about the top ten foods which are good for improving your health.
It’s already 2018 and you have added one more candle on your birthday cake. Whether you are a teenager, a person around 30 or enjoying your retirement, good health is crucial for you.
Many plant-based and animal-based foods are loaded with vital nutrients necessary for the complete growth and development of our body. But some are especially good for improving your overall health. Let’s have a look at those top ten foods which will help to increase your energy level and maintain good health.
Water is very necessary for the proper functioning of our body and you should pay attention to drink sufficient quantity of water daily.
We consume a lot of water in the form of beverages like tea, coffee, and other drinks. But what if you can make normal water much more beneficial for your health by adding few common things kept in your fridge.
Firstly, let’s look at the second most drinkable beverage in the world, Tea. If you will look for the types of Tea, you will surely end up with multiple kinds of Tea consumed all over this planet.
There are several kinds of Tea such as green tea, white tea, black tea, oolong tea etc. Make your mornings more refreshing with adding lemon, ginger, mint or other herbs to your tea.
You can add more fruit juices to your diet in order to consume right amount of water daily. Always make sure to consume clean and bacteria free water to avoid water-related health diseases.
2. Whole Grain/Oats
It’s really hard to maintain good health while dealing with our everyday tasks. We hardly manage to give some time for ourselves in this busy lifestyle. We are unable to provide essential nutrition to our body.
This problem can be resolved by consuming eatables made from whole grains. Products made from whole grains are very popular these days. Whole grains are not about including multiple grains in your diet. The standard grain we use is refined, polished and has no ‘bran’ and ‘germ’ in it.
Why whole grain or a meal made with Oats are beneficial for our health? Here’s the answer.
- It helps in better digestion
- It helps in lowering cholesterol
- Helps to lower blood pressure level.
- Helps you in achieving your weight loss goals
- Makes better blood sugar regulation
- It is loaded with vitamins and minerals
- Great for your gums and teeth
3. More Greens
Eating more greens is not only beneficial for your health, but it heals your body as well as your mind . Consuming more fruits and vegetables makes you feel calmer. So, if you go ahead with a fully plant-based diet it will be great for your physical as well as mental health.
Let’s have a look at the benefits of consuming more greens.
- Vegetables and fruits are great sources of Vitamins (almost all kinds of) and minerals,
- The dietary fiber present in vegetables and fruits helps in better digestion,
- A plant-based diet will help you in reducing blood cholesterol which reduces the risks of cardiovascular diseases.
- Greens help you in burning fat more efficiently..
- They are anti-aging in nature
- Fights diabetes.
- It reduces toxins from our body.
- Greens makes your skin glow and great for skin health
- It is also good for maintaining oral health
Make sure to clean the vegetables well before cooking them. Immerse the vegetables in a solution of salt and vinegar for about 20 minutes before cooking. This will help to remove the residues of pesticides and other harmful chemicals contained in it.
Yoghurt is one of the best sources of protein and easier to digest compared to meat products. Protein is an essential element for improving the metabolism process in our body.
A single cup of yoghurt can provide 49% of the daily requirement of calcium. It is rich in riboflavin and Vitamin B12 which are heart healthy nutrients.
The good probiotic bacteria found in yoghurt is good for digestive health. The probiotics present reduces inflammation in our body which helps in building better immune system.
Regular consumption of yoghurt reduces the risk of Osteoporosis disease. This disease occurs due to low bone density and it mostly affects the elderly people.
Also, If you want to reduce some pounds off your body weight, yogurt consumption will be really helpful and you can get a a flat belly in lesser time.
Nuts are one of the healthiest snacks and a gift of Mother Nature. It is widely consumed all over the world. They are not just tasty, but are also overloaded with many nutrients, antioxidants, and good fats.
Nuts are one of the rarest food sources of some nutrients that helps in fighting multiple diseases. Here are the main health benefits of consuming nuts.
- Nuts are great source of Calories, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, Vitamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Copper, Manganese, and Selenium
- Nuts are enriched with antioxidants
- Helps in reducing belly fat
- High content of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats found in nuts responsible for lowering cholesterol level in body
- Nuts are great for fighting with Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes
- Rich source of dietary fiber
- Reduces the risks of heart diseases
Honey is one of the ancient sweeteners widely used all over the world. It is one of the rarest processed foods provided by nature and it is processed by the tiny honeybees.
Honey isn’t just a great source of food, it is also used in medicines. For ages, it has been used for various purposes. Honey has many sweet health benefits, a few of which are mentioned below.
- Honey contains antioxidants and flavonoids which inhibits the onset of heart diseases and a few kinds of cancer
- Helps our body in reducing ulcers
- Increases metabolism and athletic performance
- It is used for treating cough since ancient times.
- Application of honey helps to heal wounds and burns.
- This processed food is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal in nature
Almost every fish is enriched with Omega 3 fatty acids, a vital nutrient necessary for the development of brain, eyes and nervous system of our body. Some fish which feed on other small fish have a higher density of mercury deposit compared to those which feed on plants. But salmon has a lower density of mercury in their flesh as they feed on plants. Salmon has several health benefits, Below are some of them.
- Salmon is a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids which aids in improving heart health and brain functioning. It also helps to build a healthy nervous system. So eating salmon helps to deal with depression.
- Salmon contains a high amount of Vitamin D which reduces the risks of certain diseases like cancer, heart diseases, arthritis, type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
- It helps in healing wounds rapidly and building new cells.
- Good for infants as it helps in building brain tissues.
- Rich source of Vitamin B and helps to raise the level of HDL cholesterol.
Spices make meals great and they have many medicinal properties too. Below is a list of some of the most consumed spices with their health benefits.
- Turmeric - Turmeric is considered as one of the best antiseptics that helps in healing wounds. It gives magnificent color and taste to our food and also has many other medicinal properties.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon is a rich source of antioxidants. It helps in reducing blood sugar level, inflammation and extra body fat.
- Anise Seeds - Anise seeds are a rich source of minerals such as iron, copper, potassium, and manganese. This mineral helps in better oxygenation of our body. It also helps to boost the immune system and improve skin health.
- Bay Leaf - Bay leaves can reduce the risk of anemia
- Black Pepper - A common spice used widely. It is packed with bunch of antioxidants.
- Cardamom - It is great for better digestion, reduces inflammation, risks of heart diseases. It is enriched with many nutrients like Vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, manganese, potassium and iron.
- Cloves - Strong in taste, cloves provides a different aroma to your food. This spice has many health benefits and is antiseptic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, rubefacient and anesthetic in nature.
- Cumin Seeds - Cumin seeds help in building bones, improve digestion and eyesight.
- Horseradish - This spice helps in increasing red blood cells in our body.
- Fennel Seeds - Fennel seeds are rich in multiple minerals.
- Mustard Seeds - Mustard is rich in B-complex Vitamins
- Saffron - It is one of the most expensive spices. Saffron is rich in carotenoids which makes the immune system stronger.
Almost all berries are enriched with phytochemicals. These natural nutrients prevent cells damage and helps build a better immune system.
It keeps your brain more active, prevents Parkinson’s disease , is great for heart health, fights diabetes, fights cancer, is anti-aging in nature, prevents Alzheimer’s and also helps in managing appropriate body weight
Mushrooms are called superfoods or the meat of plants. Mushrooms are not plants; they are fungi which are edible. They taste great and are also packed with multiple nutrients and antioxidants.
Mushrooms also have many medicinal properties and have been consumed since ages. From Greeks to Romans, mushrooms were widely used as a great food source as well as an effective medicine. The main properties of mushrooms are listed below.
- Prevent many types of cancers.
- Helps in reducing excessive body fat.
- Good for skin and oral health
- Lowers cholesterol and treat anemia
- Boost immune system and increase bone density
Make your list of top 10 or 20 healthy foods to consume this year. You can take this list of top 10 foods to eat this year as a guide for creating your own list. Also make it a point to increase physical activity in order to keep your body fit and healthy. At least 30 minutes of jogging or walking daily can help you in maintaining great health.
About the Author:
If you enjoyed this post, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social channels